Ensure Google sees your pages correctly
First understand exactly what Google can and can’t see on your website? If Google does not see or understand your web pages then you won’t rank at all in Google.
What Google Can See
- Text – Any text that you can highlight with your cursor is visible to Google.
- Links – Any text or image links can be seen. Text links are best for SEO, but if you must use images, take a look at the last item on this list.
- HTML – Any text markup on your site is also visible to the search engines. This can include page title tags, description tags, author and copyright tags, keywords and more.
- Content around videos and images – While Google can’t really make out image or video content, but Googlebot can see what is in close proximity. Google uses the context of the content to determine what it is about.
- Image ALT attributes – The ALT tag is an optional attribute for the text markup of an image. In other words, ALT stands for ‘Alternate Description’ and is intended to be show if an image could not be loaded. You want to be sure any images containing text have a matching ALT attribute, or any images without text are well described.
What Google Can’t See
- Videos - While great for human users, search engines really can’t see the content of your videos.
- Images – They really spruce up a site, but Google can’t see what is in your images either.
- Flash – Google can see some Flash.
Google to get good search rankings you need
- Well placed Keywords on the page that you want to rank for in your title tag
- Also add Good Title and Description.
- Excellent content about the subject you want to rank for on the page
- Fresh content posted in a blog
- Links from other sites that recommend your site as an authority on that subject